+ Menu

June 20, 2018

Sunscreen Series: Atzen Natural Skincare

Clean Beauty

atzen sunscreenAtzen Natural Protection Face and Eye SPF 30

Sunscreen bounty has come to backstorybeauty! So much, that I’ve decided to create a sunscreen series starting with Atzen Natural Protection Face and Eyes SPF 30, a sunscreen that protects against UVA, UVB and UVC rays, is unscented, anti-pollution and can be used around the eye contour.

One of the key standouts of this sunscreen is how well it works with makeup. In that, I can layer this over a light serum, along with primer, liquid foundation, powder, blush and concealer and it absolutely does not break up the products. Major points are also given because of its elegant, silky texture that absorbs well and leaves skin feeling hydrated and comfortable. Plus, the post-absorption look of the skin is natural and free from grey-blue hazes or chalkiness. And if you have little ones, this sunscreen is also safe to use although I’d check with baby’s paediatrician if your baby is 6 months or younger.

INCI (Ingredients)

Naturally, I must get into some details about Atzen’s sunscreen formula, with the primary filter being Zinc Oxide. Zinc Oxide is generally the filter of choice in mineral/physical sunscreens, which Atzen’s is. Note that chemical sunscreens rely on synthetic filters such as Octinoxate and Oxybenzone. Added to that, synthetic filters absorb UVA and UVB rays while mineral filters such as Zinc Oxide reflects the sun’s rays, making zinc a more skin-loving option. Another plus is that Zinc Oxide is easier tolerated by more sensitive skin types. And lastly, Zinc Oxide based sunscreens are also a better choice if your skin is acne prone.

atzen sunscreen

Watch the Rays

Atzen Natural Protection Face and Eyes SPF 30 has an added benefit by protecting against UVC rays. UVC rays don’t reach the earth’s ozone layer and are kept at bay by the atmospheric gases surrounding the earth. However, humans tend to encounter UVC rays via machinery used in settings such as hospitals (X-rays) or tanning lamps. It should also be noted that some UVC rays are used for germicidal purposes and for skin treatment purposes in the form of Ultraviolet C Radiation to help combat conditions such as vitiligo, psoriasis and some lymphomas.

Application

In terms of application, Atzen’s suggests applying about fifteen minutes prior to exposure and using 1/8 tsp of the product. I like to dot the sunscreen on and then massage it into my skin using horizontal and vertical strokes rather than circular ones. Remember to concentrate on the sides of your nose as well, along with the inner corners of your eyes. And don’t ever forget your neck and décolleté. I even apply to the back of my neck and onto my ears as well.

If you plan to go bobbing around in the water or if the heat has made you perspire, you’ll need to re-apply. Otherwise, the general suggestion for re-application is every 1.5 to 2 hours.

atzen sunscreen

Après-Soleil (After Sun) Care

After all of this time and despite all of the sunscreen-advocacy around, I still feel that insufficient attention is given to après-soleil (after-sun) care. Your skin is the largest organ and one of the most fascinating (ok arguably) and needs care once the sun is no longer beaming into your part of the planet. In this instance, the Atzen Body Lift Lotion offers care targeted at the body. Specifically, this lotion is good for dehydrated, allergic, itchy and sun damaged skin.

With a bit of a cooling effect and a very light scent and texture, this lotion offers intense hydration which I was pleasantly surprised by. While I can’t attest to it offering any skin lifting benefits so far, I can say that it soothes my skin and alleviates heat-induced, itchy flare-ups. I especially enjoy it right out of the shower to lock in moisture and to smooth over dry patches.

atzen sunscreen

This lotion boasts a slew of hydrating ingredients derived from olives and also contains hyaluronic acid derived from mushrooms, vitamins A, C, D, E, avocado, collagen, jojoba, coconut fatty acids, rosemary leaf oil and aloe. I also enjoy it after relaxing nighttime bath rituals easing my foray into dreamland.

For more background on Atzen, I previously wrote about the brand when I reviewed one of their eye products and you can have a look at that post by clicking here. Lastly, Atzen’s products are cruelty-free, GMO-free and formulated without petrochemicals and parabens.

*Use my code BACKSTORY for 10% off of any Atzen product on their website here.

*products in this post were provided by Atzen.

Digiprove sealCopyright secured by Digiprove © 2018
  1. Aisling

June 20th, 2018 at 19:35

This is such a good idea for a series, I’m very conscious of protecting my skin. I wear BB cream with SPF 25 in it everyday but the brand got discontintued so I’ve been looking for something to wear under foundation when I run out!

2. Jess

June 20th, 2018 at 19:44

A sunscreen that can be layered on top of makeup? That sounds amazing! Great review!

Jess // foundationsandfairytales.wordpress.com
    xx

3. backstorybeauty

June 20th, 2018 at 19:55

Thanks so much Jess and yes, it really can be:)

4. backstorybeauty

June 20th, 2018 at 19:58

Gah, that’s a pity the brand is gone but I do hope you find something new that works well for your skin’s needs. Thanks dear and let me know when you’ve found something..

5. Lia

June 20th, 2018 at 20:11

I have been thinking about a sunscreen face cream and this came at the perfect time. Very informative and helpful. I will take a look at their products xx

6. Iga Berry

June 20th, 2018 at 20:27

I wonder if it would make my already uber shiny skin shinier. I need something that protects and makes it matte too – ideal! Hahaha yes but I am not sure possible. Best Wishes, Iga http://www.igaberry.com x

7. Kristin

June 20th, 2018 at 21:07

This sounds like it will be really useful this summer. I will have to keep my eye out for it!

8. Alex

June 20th, 2018 at 21:23

This is such a great review! I rarely see people talking about spf products but it’s so important in the summer! X

9. Jenna

June 20th, 2018 at 23:07

I will defo check these out!

Great post!

Jenna

10. backstorybeauty

June 21st, 2018 at 00:42

Thanks a mill Jenna!

11. backstorybeauty

June 21st, 2018 at 00:43

It’s definitely so important for the long-term health of the skin..thanks much!

12. backstorybeauty

June 21st, 2018 at 00:44

Totally, totally.. summer and all year round:)

13. backstorybeauty

June 21st, 2018 at 00:47

You know, it won’t make your skin shinier as the dry down is on the matte side. So yes, it is possible to satisfy both needs:) And to you best wishes as well, thank you!

14. backstorybeauty

June 21st, 2018 at 00:58

Hi Lia, thank you. It’s so important to protect one’s skin from the sun year-round. I’m glad the post was helpful to you xo

15. Ms Via

June 21st, 2018 at 01:48

I am learning so much from your posts for you include every little and important details in them Marie. 🙂 The after care body lift lotion sounds so good. I am introduced to so many new brands and products, thanks to you Marie.

Via | http://glossnglitters.com

16. Sakshi Raina

June 21st, 2018 at 15:44

These kind of posts are so helpful but rarely are these brands shipping to India, where I live and it’s such a bummer. I read about such awesome reviews and couldn’t try it by myself 🙁

17. Geniussr

June 21st, 2018 at 16:40

Seems very nice effective akin care especially for summer time when everyone is exposing sun more.. thanks for your detailed review ❤️

www. geniusenough.com

18. backstorybeauty

June 21st, 2018 at 17:08

And thank you for reading, it is indeed effective and the textures are superb:)

19. backstorybeauty

June 21st, 2018 at 17:10

Aww, yes I know.. the shipping blues hit us at times as consumers. Hopefully, they’ll work on expanding their shipping. I appreciate you taking the time to read the post:)

20. backstorybeauty

June 21st, 2018 at 17:14

Ah Via, I cannot thank you enough for your kind words. I enjoy sharing the information as a way to help inform purchases and I appreciate you taking the time to have a read. The Body Lotion really delivers the way a good product should:)